3 December 2020

Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro's La Cité des enfants perdus | The City of Lost Children (2005)

 

The prominent American film critic Roger Ebert was very enthusiastic about the design and visuals of La Cité des enfants perdus, although the plot escaped him. This doesn't surprise me: I'd call the film something of a whiz-bang steampunk nightmare.

This film, coming four years after Delicatessen (1991), is the second and final co-directed film with Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. Alien, la résurrection (1997) is the only Jeunet film I've not seen, although (certainly with the exception of Micmacs à tire-larigot (2009)) he has more recently tended to move away from the steampunk atmospheres.

Krank (Daniel Emilfork) lives on a disused offshore oilrig with clones of Dominique Pinon (one of Jeunet's acteurs fétiches), the very weird Martha (Mireille Mossé), 'Uncle Irvin' (a brain in a fish tank with the voice of Jean-Louis Trintignant) can't dream and is ageing. He seeks to kidnap children in order to steal their dreams. I could go on but it gets crazier and crazier.

Miette (the nine-year-old Monique Vittet) is for me the only saving grace of the film, but that's not saying a great deal about this disaster. After the brilliant Delicatessen, this is a very weird follow-up by a director who later came up with much better: an unfortunate blip.

NB. It could be that my lack of appreciation for this film was the impossibility for me to it listen to it in the original language, although I have my doubts.

No comments: