'CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
Built early sixteenth century and originally dedicated to
St James until the discovery in the mid-nineteenth century
of a stained glass window to St Lawrence.
Affectionately known as "Th'Owd Peg" because its framework
was fastened together with wooden pegs.
Resting place of John Angier, the famous Puritan divine
and of Colonel Robert Duckenfield, Tameside's
Civil War hero.'
A Puritan divine who was Minister of
St Lawrence for forty six years until his
death in 1677. He survived the various
religious upheavals of those troubled times
and continued to preach his
One known published work by John Angier is An Helpe to Better Hearts for Better Times: Indeavoured in severall Sermons preached in the year, 1638, etc (1637), and there is a biography written by Oliver Heywood (1968).
'1872'. The year the church was expanded. This is a Grade II* building.