As time went on Emily became he increasingly reclusive, although she retained contact with the outside world by frequent correspondence. Emily wrote about 1800 poems, although only a handful were published in her lifetime. And it was not until 1955 that a scholarly edition of her poetry was published.
Nevertheless, it was not a happy marriage, and Austin carried out - between 1882 and his death fifteen years later - an affair with Mabel Loomis Todd, a woman 27 years his junior. Susan, Todd's husband, and the two sisters next door were well aware of the affair. (Later, Todd was to be in part responsible for the unfortunate editing - the excision of dashes and non-standard capitalization, etc - of Emily's early posthumously published work.)
Emily Dickinson's headstone is partly obscured by the fence around the family plot in West Cemetery.
Amherst's most famous figure is its centerpiece, seen above the close-up with her younger sister Lavinia holding a cat.
Behind her, also writing, is Lilian Garis (1872-54), a journalist in her early career who went on to write many books for children, most notably two series: The Bobbsey Twins (seventy-two books as 'Laura Lee Hope'), and Dorothy Dale (thirteen books as 'Margaret Penrose').
To the left of Garis in the picture, Eugene Field (1850-95) was born in St Louis, Missouri (where his first home is now a museum), but following the death of his mother was brought up by a cousin in Amherst. He is best remembered as a writer of children's poetry, his most famous work being Wynken, Blynken, and Nod (1889).
The writer at the back with the beehive is Ray Stannard Baker (1870-1946), who is described as '[a]n early muckraking journalist' in 'A Guide to the Amherst Community History Mural at the West Park Cemetery, Amherst, Massachusetts', published by the Amherst Historical Commission. Baker was a also a writer of fiction and children's stories, and won the Pulitzer Prize for Biography in 1940 for his study of Woodrow Wilson.