Nigel and Teresa Ogle bought a seventy-year-old cheese factory here in 1975, and built a museum out of it. Using moulds of actual people – friends, relatives and locals – life-size models of characters are created.
The flour mill at Tawhiti was built in 1881 but closed down in 1886.
It was bought and re-opened by the miller George Ogle, who had emigrated with his wife Mary Ann, their first children, and brother William from Nottinghamshire, England in 1884 and bought the mill in 1887 after a short time at a mill in Auckland.
The Ogle Brothers' store in Hawera.