25 June 2022

Notre-dame de Lorette, Saint-Épain, Indre-et-Loire (37)

Notre-dame de Lorette is a wayside shrine, a hermitage consisting of a chapel and a troglodytic dwelling within the commune of Saint-Épain in the Courtineau valley in Indre-et-Loire. The troglodytic structures were built in the fifteenth century, although the chapel is only recorded from the nineteenth. Legend has it that Joan of Arc sheltered here in a rainstorm when journeying from nearby Sainte-Catherine-de-Fierbois to Chinon, although this is of course without foundation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello
I recently and rather randomly came across a beautiful picture of a young lady in what looks like her first communion dress. She is buried in the vaugirard cemetery in Paris. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I would love to know who she was. I haven't seen her grave in person only a online photo and three seems to be no information about her, most likely because on the photo I saw of her grave it doesn't have a name or date. Perhaps overtime any writing has disappeared. Do you know of the grave I mean? I would love to know who she was instead of just being a face forgotten to time.

Dr Tony Shaw said...

Hi
No, I'm afraid I don't know the one you mean. Could you send me the photo of her and an attachment of the grave too, and I'll do my best: anottsquair@hotmail.com