17 July 2012

Writers in Churches in Nottinghamshire #7: Walter Hilton in Thurgarton

'REMEMBER
WALTER HILTON

CANON OF
THURGARTON PRIORY

AUTHOR OF
THE LADDER OF
PERFECTION

DIED MARCH 24
1396'

Tom Errington painted this on one of the pillars in the Priory Church of St Peter at Thurgarton, Nottinghamshire. Hilton was born about 1340 but not a great deal is known of his life, although the best introduction to his work that I've seen so far online is on the Thurgarton History site, the appropriate page of which I link below.

There are other features I found of interest in the church, and I was particularly taken by the triple seat to the right of the altar, with misericords probably dating from the 15th century:



Unfortunately, I didn't see the one with wrestlers.

The west elevation.

(I visited this church because of the Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham's Open Churches Weekends (Saturday and Sunday 14 and 15 July and 21 and 22 July 2012). Details of participating churches and opening times are listed here.)

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Thurgarton History – Walter Hilton

The Scale of Perfection: Introduction, ed. Thomas H. Bestul

The Scale of Perfection: Book I, ed. Thomas H. Bestul

The Scale of Perfection: Book II, ed. Thomas H. Bestul

No comments: