18 September 2012

William Morris in Bexleyheath, Kent: London #30

built in 1859–1860
by Philip Webb, architect,
poet and artist
who lived here
For Dante Gabriel Rossetti, this Victorian Gothic structure was 'more a poem than a house'.
William Morris (1834–96) married Jane (or Janey) Burden in April 1859, and moved here when his friend Webb had completed it the following year. The weather vane is inscribed 'WM 1859' with a horse's head at the side. Shown here is the Well Courtyard: the original intention was for a similar building at the side for Edward Burne-Jones and his family to live in, but it was not to be.

A closer view of the well with its very impressive roof.
The west elevation with the oriel window of particular note.
The north elevation, showing the main entrance.
Morris named the garden porch 'Pigrims' Rest' as this would have been near the route taken by Chaucer's Canterbury group.
The tiling behind the bench here is worth a closer look.
On some of the tiles, Morris's motto 'Si je puis' is curled round an oak tree, with his initial at the side.
But on most of the others it's the Tudor rose.
An early example of Morris's stained glass, with figures by Edward Burne-Jones.
William Morris in Walthamstow: London #29

No comments: