27 September 2012

Ebenezer Cobham Brewer's Grave in Edwinstowe (2012 update)

I've just received an email with the really good news that the grave of the writer Ebenezer Cobham Brewer in St Mary's churchyard in Edwinstowe has now been restored. In April 2010 I posted a few shots of the vandalized grave, and the same August I followed up with another post, this time with a photo of Brewer's ghostly face hovering over the graveyard. That inventive photo was created by Edwinstowe local and retired professional photographer Alan Smith, the same person who sent me the email and who took the above photo. Many thanks, Alan.

As yet we don't know who did this good deed, but I'll add the information when I find out.

Below are links to my other two posts.


Addendum: Alan now informs me:

'The works were added to an existing programme of headstone repairs at a number of closed churchyards and were included in the overall cost of £42,000. Authorized by Phil Beard, Business Manager – Parks & Amenities, Newark & Sherwood District Council. The repairs were carried out under the main contract by D & M Monumental Masons from Arnold. – it was free of charge believe it or not.'

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
The Rev Dr Ebenezer Cobham Brewer, and Edwinstowe
Ebenezer Cobham Brewer in Edwinstowe (revisited)

No comments: