The Old Bookstore is on the corner of School and Washington streets in Downtown Boston.
'Thomas Crease built this structure as his apothecary and residence shortly after the great fire of 1711 destroyed Anne Hutchinson's house on this site. Timothy Carter opened the Old Corner Bookstore here in 1829. Between 1845 and 1865, the booksellers Ticknor and Fields established the building's lasting literary significance as the publishers of Hawthorne, Longfellow, Stowe, Emerson, Thoreau and other prominent American and British authors, who often gathered here.
'In 1960, civic leaders raised the money and established Historic Boston Incorporated to acquire and preserve this site.'