The Rodin Museum was established in 1916 after three donations by Auguste Rodin (1840—1917) to the French state of his works, collections, library, letters, and manuscripts. It is where the former hôtel Biron was, which Rodin had rented from 1908.
A plaque stating that (the poet) Rainer-Maria Rilke lived there from 1908-1911.
The museum gardens have a number sculptures relating to literature. This in bronze (1902—04) is The Three Shadows (Les Trois Ombres), and is a representation from Dante's The Divine Comedy (La Divina Commedia), with its warning: 'Abandon hope all you who enter here'. The three figures are identical, and Rodin gives them back the hands missing from them at the top of his work The Door to Hell (La Porte de'L'enfer) (1880—1917).
Rodin worked on La Porte de l'Enfer for many years, drawing on the figures (over 200) here for the rest of his working life.
He died before seeing the full masterpiece put together in cast iron.
The Victor Hugo monument.
A detail of the monument to Hugo.
In a gallery of marble exhibits there are several representations of Hugo.
There is also a bust of George Bernard Shaw, made in 1906.
On the other side of the hotel is the statue of Balzac.
Finally, it would probably be a mistake to exclude Le Penseur (The Thinker).